Four Steps to Starting a Mom Blog
Starting a blog is easy. Building a following can be a bit harder. But the end result can be quite fulfilling, sometimes in more ways than one.
Follow my outline below to setup your new blog in just four steps.
- Choose a topic.
- Purchase your domain name.
- Choose a Host.
- Install wordpress.
Choose a Topic
I suggest you start by writing about something your passionate about. Something you know about and want to share with others. This way you will always have something to write about.
There are an abundant amount of topics you could choose from; parenting, adoption, marriage, food, recipes, fitness, hobbies, crafts, ect.. the choices are endless.
Purchase Your Domain Name
Once you’ve chosen a theme you will want to purchase a domain name. A few things to keep in mind when brainstorming your new domain name:
- Keep it short. People need to be able to remember your domain name and be able to spell it. Slang or obscure spellings might be harder for people to remember or spell.
- Use keywords to target your audience. By using keywords in your domain name you may help to improve your search engine ranking therefore bringing in more visitors (search traffic) to your blog.
- Choose something catchy or memorable. But I would recommend you not use hyphens or numbers. Visitors won’t know whether your saying 4 or four and many won’t remember where to put the dash.
- Once you’ve got a few choices in mind do you some research to avoid issues later. Are there similar domain names already online? (.com .net .org .me) Is your chosen domain name trademarked?
Just to note there are several domain extensions available to choose from. I suggest you choose a .COM domain name. While other extensions can rank well it’s been my experience that .com just seems to do better.
And from personal experience let me just say it’s not fun when you find yourself competing with someone who takes your domain name and registers it using the most popular extension (.COM) just because they can – and you didn’t.
I also want to mention, domain privacy is worth the extra cost simply to keep your name, address, and phone number private.
Choose a Host
You need a host in order to secure your web space for your domain and subsequent files. They should be affordable but reliable. Shopping for hosting services can be daunting. But it doesn’t need to be which is why I’m recommending my own host Bluehost.
I’ve been a customer more than six years. And I would class my experience with this host as AAA with very minimum downtime (much less than 1%). The price is very reasonable and the customer service is very high. Check them out via my affiliate link above or by visiting bluehost dotcom.
There are free hosting options but here are some reasons I suggest you do not use free services:
- www.yourdomainname.com is much attractive not to mention memorable than www.yourblogname.blogspot.com
- Using your own domain will get you listed in search engines such as google or yahoo which bring with them more visitors to your blog.
- Moving from a free hosted blog service to a self hosted wordpress installation isn’t easy and sometimes isn’t even an option depending on the service you chose.
Keep in mind at some point you may wish to monetize your blog. If that’s a consideration you most definitely want to be self hosted.
Most host offer one-click hosting through the Cpanel. I’ll walk you thought installing WordPress via the Bluehost Cpanel below:
#1 Looking at the blue tabs listed on the right side of the Cpanel, open the website builders tab and click Install Worpress.
#2 Click: Install. You may need to connect your Bluehost account to Mojo Marketplace if this your first time using this service.
#3 Click the drop down arrow and choose the domain you wish to install wordpress.
#4 Usually I prefer to let wordpress install into the default directory so I leave the directory box empty. However some people choose to install in a new directory in which case the blog address would look something like: www.yourdomainname.com/directory-name-you-chose/
Click: Check Domain.
Place a check into “Show advanced options”. Here you will want to update your blog title. And change your admin login username and password to something you will remember. I suggest not using Admin as the login name since it’s the default choice and hackers know this as well. Place a check into “I have read the terms and conditions” box. Click: Install Now.
Now That Your WordPress is Installed – What Next?
- Goto Settings – General to make any changes needed to your blog name, tagline, username, timezone, or email address.
- Goto Appearance – Themes to choose a theme.
- Goto Posts – Categories to setup the categories.
- Goto Pages – Add New to create an About Me page to introduce yourself and your new blog.
Well done! Now your blog is ready for you to start posting.
Note: There are many free themes available but I suggest purchasing the genesis frame and a child theme. I’ve found many available on Fiverr.com as well as professionals who are willing to create genesis child themes for a very reasonable fee.
Once you’ve got a few post up it’s time to start networking and get some traffic flowing. And eventually you may even want to monetize your blog using ads or IZEA.
For more blogging tips follow my Pinterest board:
Latest posts by Pamela (see all)
- November Edition: 10 Things That Make Me Happy - January 17, 2018
- Easy Dinner Ideas: Green Chicken Enchiladas - January 17, 2018
- What is the Real Truth of the Origins of Thanksgiving? - January 17, 2018