It’s funny, growing up I was always the technical person in our home. When someone in my circle of friends or family needed their VCR, TV, car radio, or ‘what not’ programed many times it was me who they came to. When personal computers started becoming more readily available I once again found myself in demand. It wasn’t uncommon for my phone to ring 3-4 times a week with family members, friends, or friends of a friend calling me because they needed help with something; usually the dreaded ‘blue screen of death’.
I mention all this because while I’ve had a cell phone in the past I never found myself truly fond of them. I never saw what the fuss was all about nor did I feel the need to have one 24/7 myself. I have a land line so why would I need another phone, yes that’s what I thought.
Of course we could sit here and debate the need for a cell phone in today’s culture. But that not why I’m writing this post. I’m writing to ask your help on choosing the right cell phone because I completely admit my knowledge of cell phones is quite limited. I’m almost embarrassed to admit that as a middle aged woman I can probably count the number of times I’ve personally used a cell phone on two hands.
So with these points in mind, what would you recommend?
- I’m frugal so cost is important to me. I want something affordable with a budget somewhere between $50-150.00
- I don’t want to sign a contract, I would much prefer month to month. But then again I’m not really fond of having to purchase time cards either.
- I want something capable of using Apps. We’ve seen some really cool apps mentioned like couch potato.
- I want the ease of a cell phone (WiFi) when it comes to snapping photos for my blog and putting them online easily. The same for videos would be nice too.
- There has been a few times I wish I had the ability to text and had to use some online service to text someone during an emergency because there was no other way to get in touch with them. Not to mention, I tend to miss a lot so I think it would be really helpful to be able to get instant text when someone post @me from one of my social networks.
- And last but not least, my eye sight isn’t what it used to be so size does count and good volume control is a must.