It’s day TWENTY SEVEN of 31 Days of Halloween and today we’re talking about Last Minute Halloween Costume Ideas for the Whole Family. If you missed day one’s post, click here.
If your still trying to decide what to dress up as for Halloween you don’t have much time left, not that you need me to tell you that I’m sure.What will your family be dressing up as for Halloween this year? #31daysofhalloween Click To Tweet
Last Minute Halloween Costume Ideas for the Whole Family
By far the easiest last minute costumes ideas will come straight from your very own wardrobe. Go though your closets and take note of just what items you have. Here are a few costume ideas that my family has pulled out of their closets.
- Do you have a nice black dress or black suit? Pick up a cheap witch or wizards hat from your local Halloween supply store. Take inspiration from one of my favorite movie franchises, Harry Potter. You’ll see not all witches and wizards are old cranky wart on the chin kind of characters. Although there is absolutely nothing wrong with going full on green if that’s what you want to do!
- Do you have a set of coveralls? Grab some motor grease and add a few smudges to your hands and face. Hang a red bandana from your back pocket as a grease rag. Find a good sized wrench to carry with you or stick it in a deep pocket but where it can be seen. If you haven’t guess yet, this is a mechanics costume. Instead carry around a small tool tray and you could be a carpenter.
- I remember once when I was still young myself, my mother digging through her closet for a costume. She came out of her room looking like the local farmers wife. She had dressed in her old denim overhauls with a plaid shirt under them. She’d went all out with a straw hat, rouged cheeks, painted on freckles, and even a single stem of wheat to hang between her lips. I have no doubt had her hair been long enough she’d have donned pig tails too. It was so totally unexpected that it was just too darn cute.
- Find your most matronly looking dress and add a shawl or find an old suit and add a sweater for the guys to dress up as old people. You can use a little baby powder in your hair (facial hair too) to give it that dull gray look. Add a cane or even a walker if ya have one – just don’t plan to win any races.
If nothing in your closet seems to work for you consider your normal everyday dress. Do you have some form of work clothing, sports uniform, workout suit, cooking attire, or maybe some other suit of some kind that you can use as a last minute Halloween costume?
DIY Last Minute Halloween Costume Ideas
If your even the slightest bit creative you could make last minute costume(s) for yourself or the whole family.
- Last years craze, stick figure costumes…. made using either glow sticks or glow in the dark tape on black sweats suits.
- Use an upside down drinking glass as a template and mark circles onto white felt (the kind with the sticky back is preferred). Stick the circles onto the front of black sweat suits in the pattern of dominoes. You could also make felt X’s and O’s and use some colored tape to make the grid for a tic-tac-toe board game. Maybe your more the old board game Operation fan.
- What’s your favorite candy bar? Pick up some cheap pillow cases in colors that match your chosen candy wrapper if possible. Cut a neck hole and two arm holes on the closed end of your pillow case in order to wear them later. Now using fabric paints, paint your favorite candy wrappers onto one or both sides of the pillow case. Just imagine it — a whole family of Willy Wonka treats! NOTE: You could also use t-shirts to make your candy wrappers if you seriously have issues using pillow cases.
- Do you or your kids already have themed pajamas? Make some matching accessories to turn them into complete costumes. For example maybe your children (or yourself) have superman or batgirl pj’s well they really would only need to have a matching cape and mask to be complete. Both of which you can make yourself using simple items. You can use card stock to draw and color a face mask. Once it’s cut out glue a popsicle stick to one side for your kids to hold the mask up when they say “Trick or Treat”.
Another great (and inexpensive) way to make last minute costumes is by doing a quick run to the local store and asking for any boxes they might have to spare. Box costumes can be simple to make depending on what you want to be. BOX costume ideas include: minecraft characters, robot, transformers, TV, washer, dryer, Vmo, game systems, crayola box, candy boxes, monsters, and book, CD, or DVD covers.
Of course if all fails I guess you might be using the white sheets to make ghost costumes from, but hey I’m not taking the blame for that one haha.
That’s it for today’s 31 Days of Halloween post but be sure to come back tomorrow because I’ll sharing some awesome printable Halloween Countdowns.
Comment below and let me know, do you have a Last Minute Halloween Costume Idea that I didn’t mention?
31 Days of Halloween 2017
If you liked this article, please share it on social media!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase. Thank you so much for supporting my blog in this way. Please read our Disclosure Policy for more information.
Latest posts by Pamela (see all)
- What is the Real Truth of the Origins of Thanksgiving? - November 13, 2017
- 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Me - November 9, 2017
- Does Momma Really Know It All? - November 2, 2017