It’s day SIXTEEN of 31 Days of Halloween and today we’re talking about How to Make Texas Hot Apple Cider. If you missed day one’s post, click here.
This is an easy and delicious hot cider that’s sure to warm your belly especially on those C O L D days. It might take a little time to make but I can promise it will be worth it! In Texas we like it with a little something extra if you know what I mean. So if your up for the adult version, spike it, with one shot per cup of whiskey, bourbon, brandy, or rum. But remember you only want to add the alcohol after you’re done cooking it, you don’t want to go cooking out the alcohol by mistake. Note: When picking out your apples go for the sweet verity of apples like a Golden Delicious, Fuji, or Gala.What would you S P I K E your Texas Hot Apple Cider with? #31daysofhalloween Click To Tweet
Texas Hot Apple Cider
8 cups apple juice
2 tsp whole cloves
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp allspice
3 cinnamon sticks
1. Set your slow cooker or crockpot temperature to high.
2. Pour your apple juice into your slow cooker and lock on the lid to get start it warming.
3. While your liquid is warming cut the apples, skin on, into thick slices removing just the seeds.
4. Next do the same with the oranges, again thick slices, leaving the peel on.
5. Take the whole cloves and poke them into a few of your apple and orange slices. (Makes removing them so much easier.)
6. Once your liquid is warm enough add the brown sugar and remaining spices and stir well.
7. Add the fruit slices and cinnamon sticks and stir again.
8. Let your cider simmer in the slow cooker for 2-3 hours on High or for 4-6 hours on Low. Immediately remove all the fruit, cinnamon sticks, and any cloves that might have escaped.
This recipe freezes well but be sure to strain your cider to catch all the little bits and pieces of the whole cloves that might have fallen or broken off. We find this recipe usually makes about 8 one cup servings. And if you prefer a stronger flavor leave your fruit in for a while longer.
That’s it for today’s 31 Days of Halloween post but be sure to come back tomorrow because I’m posting our list of 20 of the BEST Halloween Movies for Kids.
Comment below and let me know what you think of our Texas Hot Apple Cider.
31 Days of Halloween 2017
If you liked this article, please share it on social media!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means that I may earn a small commission if you make a purchase. Thank you so much for supporting my blog in this way. Please read our Disclosure Policy for more information. Photo Credit: MarcoRoosink, lindamayo1, pinterest, and rFonz.
Latest posts by Pamela (see all)
- What is the Real Truth of the Origins of Thanksgiving? - November 13, 2017
- 10 Things You Didn’t Know About Me - November 9, 2017
- Does Momma Really Know It All? - November 2, 2017